Megaport Ltd., a global leading Network as a Service (NaaS) provider, has launched Megaport Virtual Edge (MVE), an on-demand vendor-neutral Network Function Virtualization (NFV) service that enables branch-to-cloud connectivity on Megaport’s global Software Defined Network (SDN).
With MVE, companies can host network functions such as virtual routers, SD-WAN controllers and future networking technologies directly on Megaport’s global platform to extend their network functions closer to the edge, in real-time, and without the need to deploy hardware.
MVE is a globally distributed compute and network service in one. The compute aspect of the service enables customers to host NFV instances in locations where they need them, on-demand, and manage them in a point-and-click manner.
On the network side, MVE’s built-in transit gateway provides a scalable access point for connecting networks, via the public internet, to Megaport’s private SDN. Virtualized devices hosted on MVE can use the transit gateway to create connections between the Megaport SDN and their own networks, including branch locations, data centers and private clouds.
At launch, MVE is available in 15 metros across North America, Asia-Pacific and Europe with six additional locations to be available at the end of April. This allows customers more flexibility to deploy virtual devices near concentrations of users to localize traffic and optimize data termination for performance.
SD-WAN on MVE Highlights:
- Reduced cloud egress costs to cloud on-ramps when compared to internet rates.
- Better performance with reduced jitter and latency.
- Vendor-neutral service that supports SD-WAN technologies from leading providers.
- Highly distributed for localized connections.
- Point-and-click network provisioning to support interconnection between branch locations, data centers, cloud providers, and IT services.
- Real-time provisioning of virtual network infrastructure and interconnections.
- No hardware to ship, install, or manage.
- Unified end-to-end network provisioning and management to transform legacy networks.
- Secure, multi-cloud connections to more than 360 service providers, 700+ enabled data centers and 220+ cloud interconnect points.
- Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect
Megaport and Cisco have partnered to integrate Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with MVE for enterprises that want their SD-WAN controllers to be able to provision on-demand cloud interconnects using Megaport’s SDN. Building a bridge from SD-WAN to Megaport enables software-defined cloud interconnect fabrics with reliable network performance, cost-optimized connectivity and reduced provisioning time. This provides enterprise IT full control of SD-WAN (overlay fabric) and cloud interconnects (underlay fabric) from the same Cisco SD-WAN controller with the release of vManage 20.5.
For information about Megaport Virtual Edge, visit megaport.com/mve.